Tom Sawyer Visualization
Tom Sawyer Visualization is a complete Software Development Kit (SDK) for building high-performance
enterprise-class data visualization applications. It delivers mature, precise, feature-rich and high-quality
complemented with strong documentation, programming tutorials, and extended API descriptions. Tom Sawyer
the Data Visualization and Visual Interaction layers of the Tom Sawyer data visualization reference
Tom Sawyer Visualization is ideal for developers who need to build visualization applications with precise
involving a high degree of customization. It enables developers to add advanced user interface presentation
Most commercial applications have their own in-memory application data model and business logic. However, many of
application developers do not have the time, resources, expertise, or inclination to spend years building
graphical clients. Developers who use Tom Sawyer Visualization decide what kind of drawing views they want to
provide to end users
and utilize the APIs to quickly construct graphical drawings within their applications.
Tom Sawyer Visualization is the definitive development kit for building and deploying interactive data
- A family of product editions supporting a number of commonly used desktop and thin-client web architectures
Java and Microsoft Windows.
Web editions support AJAX thin-client image-mapped graphics implementations that do not require plugins and
Desktop editions support Java and Microsoft desktop architectures as well as Java applets and Web Start
- A graphical nested drawing data model and interfaces for both high-speed batch-loading and interactive
diagramming. The interactive system
provides command processing and multi-level "undo and redo" support. Application developers can access
a rich selection of tools for highlighting,
viewing and editing. They can also create custom toolbars, tooltips, and context menus for their
enable domain specific application behaviors.
- An advanced graphics architecture in which the drawing canvas background, nodes, edges, connectors and
each can have rich attributed graphical decorations.
Each graphical drawing element has tooltip support to provide direct feedback for the user. Each drawing
on the canvas maintains a drawing tree that
controls how objects are rendered under different conditions. Developers use data-driven rules to control
rendering of each graphical drawing tree element.
By offering a flexible run-time, rather than a compile-time approach, the graphics system enables drawing
elements to have different graphical appearances for
each specific user action, such as select, mouse over, mouse leave, or resize. With this advanced drawing
system, developers can readily produce graphical drawings
with "level of detail" support. This enables the end user to zoom in and expose additional graphical
detail on the drawing as zooming thresholds are passed.
In addition, each graphical attribute can respond to data property changes based on the data-to-drawing
that are specified for that drawing element.
- High-speed rendering services supporting thousands of drawing elements on each drawing canvas. Built-in
selection facilities implement common single and
multiple-selection metaphors. Viewing tools include marquee and focal zooming, panning, link navigation,
fit, scroll to, and drill-down and drill up-methods.
An overview facility provides a precise and synchronized high-level overview of the visible area of the
canvas. In addition, changes can be made directly
to the overview marquee to dynamically update the drawing canvas.
- Property inspectors that respond dynamically to selection events on the drawing canvas.
As drawing elements are selected, the common drawing element attributes and values are displayed in the
- Flexible and complete multi-page print preview and print facilities, as well as export facilities to save
in common graphical formats. A developer
can also save drawings in XML format and perfectly open these drawings later.
- Advanced diagramming functionality that includes moving selected nodes, resizing nodes, cut, copy, paste,
duplicate, interactive edge routing,
and advanced routing and labeling facilities. Tom Sawyer Visualization also supports drill-down, collapse
expand, fold and unfold,
hide and unhide, and other complexity management techniques.
- Layout animation, layout progress bars, layout cancel, and multi-threaded layout capabilities. End users can
work uninterrupted in one view while a layout operation
is running in another view.
- An advanced event management system lets end user applications respond to graphical, structural, and
changes made to the drawings. This enables the
application data model to stay in sync with the graphical drawing data model.
Tom Sawyer Visualization relies on the high performance and scalable services of Tom Sawyer
Layout. Tom Sawyer Visualization and Tom Sawyer Layout have been
designed and built to work together through many years of experience. Tom Sawyer Visualization may also be
with Tom Sawyer Analysis to provide graph
analytics in a graphical application environment.
Tom Sawyer Visualization Capabilities
- Excellent Graphical Nested Drawing Data Model – Construct rich nested drawing
support of numerous application
domains and complex use cases.
- Batch-Loading and Interactive Diagramming Interfaces – Quickly populate drawing
large data sources. A user's
interactive gestures are also captured smoothly and interactively within the drawing canvas.
- High Speed and Accurate Rendering Architecture – Supports drawings
with tens of thousands of nodes, edges and labels.
- Selection, Viewing and Editing – Provides smooth and reliable selection and viewing
Overview windows and property inspectors provide the integrated features that customers expect.
- Custom Tool Creation and Context Menu Support – Create custom toolbars and context
perform application-specific actions, launch programs, and open URLs.
- Advanced Event Management System – Highly-efficient system tracks graphical,
topological changes made to drawings so that the application data model can remain in sync.
- Superior Scalable Automatic Layout – Provides scalable global, incremental, and
constraint-based automatic layout, labeling, and routing.
- Great Printing and Exporting Facilities – Build applications with multi-page print
Drawings can be saved in GIF, JPEG, PDF, PNG, and SVG formats. Drawings can also be saved in XML format and
- Support for Major Software Platforms – Build ActiveX, MFC, Swing, and JSP
Tom Sawyer Visualization Advantages
- Superior Performance and Scalability – Leverage layout algorithms with
performance, and scalability. Build applications that can format and render drawings with thousands of
- Faster Time to Deployment – Robust, easy-to-use API libraries and a rich set of
interactive components simplify the development of customized visualization applications. Tom Sawyer
development time and lowers risk by allowing developers to quickly and easily create applications with
customized interaction that meet an end users' exact requirements.
- Greater Stability – Data visualization applications built with Tom Sawyer
Visualization have been
successfully used in enterprise line-of-business situations by leading enterprises and governments.
Tom Sawyer Visualization can be applied to a wide variety of industry settings,
including banking, data management, energy, engineering design, intelligence, IT, life sciences,
and software engineering. You can use Tom Sawyer Visualization in a Web or desktop application.
Click here to download the
Tom Sawyer Visualization Datasheet.
Tom Sawyer Visualization is available in Java, JSP, ActiveX,
and MFC editions. Select the edition that meets your
needs to see additional detail.